John Dempsey was born in Detroit and currently lives and works in Flint, Michigan, where he has maintained a studio for over 25 years and where he taught (now retired) painting, drawing, and design at Mott Community College. He currently is an adjunct drawing instructor at the College for Creative Studies in the Entertainment Arts Department, Detroit, Michigan.
His educational background includes a BFA degree from Michigan State University, and MFA degree from Central Washington University, Ellensburg, Washington. He has also studied painting at Wayne State University and Arizona State University.
His work is included in the collection of the Flint Institute of Art and the South Bend Museum of Art and is also represented in various corporate and public art commissions, including the Pfizer Co., Groton, Connecticut, and the General Motors SPO Headquarters, Grand Blanc, Michigan. He was the recipient of the Delta award at the 53rd Greater Michigan Art Exhibition in Midland, Michigan, 2014.
Recent solo exhibitions include:
- Enklaver/Enclaves, Galleri Schaeffers Gate 5, Oslo, Norway
- Interlocations at the South Bend Museum of Art, Indiana
- Between Landscape and Place, Northville Art House, Northville, Michigan
- The Durham Art Center, Semans Gallery
- ARC Gallery, Chicago, Illinois
Recent group exhibitions also include:
- Industry, the Flint Institute of Arts, Flint, Michigan
- 91st Michigan Contemporary Art Exhibition, Muskegon Museum of Art, Michigan
- CCS Faculty Now!, Valade Gallery, College for Creative Studies, Detroit, Michigan
- Art From the Heartland, Indianapolis Art Center, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Reimagining the Four Freedoms: Norman Rockwell and FDR’s Four Freedoms, Roosevelt House, Hunter College, New York, New York (and traveling through 2020).
- The Art in Embassies Program, U.S. State Department, Gabarone, Botswana
- The Herron School of Art and Design, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Saginaw Valley State University Gallery, University Center, Michigan.
- The Flora Kirsch Beck Gallery, Alma College, Alma, Michigan